INTRODUCTION to E - WASTE
- In recent years there has been increasing use and dependence on Electrical and Electronics gadgets like Television sets, Mobile phones, Air conditioners, Music Systems, Microwave Ovens etc.
- The high rates of obsolescence of the above mentioned items coupled with steady rise in demand have also resulted into substantial growth in e - waste generation.
- We nurture careers by empowering our people to innovate in an open, informed and challenging work place. We encourage the richness of ideas, approaches and points of view within a work environment conducive to both superior performance and personal fulfillment.
- If the above e - waste generated is opened or handled in unscientific manner it may cause health risk and damage to environment due to presence of heavy metals like As, Hg, Cd, Pb etc.
- Hence a need to encourage recycling in addition to the need for conserving the ever depleting resources.
- E - waste has been defined as "waste electrical and electronic equipment, whole or in part or rejects from their manufacturing and repair process, which are intended to be discarded". Whereas Electrical and electronic equipment has been defined as "equipment which is dependent on electrical currents or electro - magnetic fields to be fully functional"
IMPACTS OF UNSECIENTIFIC HANDLING OF E - WASTE:
- An estimated 0.8 million ton of e - waste was generated in India during the year 2012, while the world wide figure was 30 million tonnes.
- A lot of it is reusable and recyclable, if only it were channelized properly.
- A typical electronic product contains more than 1000 substances some of which are potentially hazardous to human health and environment. Substances like As, Cd, Hg, Pb etc are hazardous and need to be disposed off properly.
- E - waste is a
problem of increasing proportion when crude methods are adopted as a result of which toxic material present in e - waste gets mixed with earth, air, water etc and causes health issues.
- Oil & Gases which are present is some of e - waste like compressor and CRT causes environment pollution
- Batteries contains highly hazardous element.
- Burning of rubber & plastic in open area causes air pollutio
BENEFITS OF E WASTE RECYLING
- There is need to encourage recycling of all useful and valuable material from e - waste so as to conserve the ever depleting natural resources. Eg for making new LCD's more than 50% of iridium is sourced by recycling used LCDs
- Recycling end - of - life products (EOL) is vital if we are to save resources and minimize waste.
- Scientific disposal of e - waste reduces the environment pollution. The correct disposal of old product will help prevent potential negative consequences for the environment and human health
- With virgin resources of raw materials facing rapid depletion, e - waste can actually turn into an alternate source. For that, we need to have a system in place for recycling
E - Care process
ONIDA E - care PROGRAM
- At ONIDA we understand that our responsibility doesn't end at selling you our products
- Under our policy which is in line with the legislation passed by the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), called E - waste (Management & Handling) Rules, 2011, which has come into effect from 1st May 2012, ONIDA will seek shared responsibility and co - operation from customers in reducing the environmental impact of their products.
- ONIDA will comply with all the applicable laws related to e - waste management.
- Establishing of all manufacturing plants as e - waste collection centres / points for process e - waste.
- Establishing of all service centres as e - waste compliant.
- Ensuring that the disposal of End of Life Products at the customer end is taken care of by approved dismantler's and re - cycler's.
SCOPE OF THE POLICY
- Manufacturing units - Process E - Waste
- Consumers - End of life products(EOL)
- Service spares e - waste
Products Covered ( Colour Televisions, Air Conditioners, Washing Machines, Microwave Ovens, DVD's, Mobile Hand sets, Home Theatre Systems, Induction Cooking, LED Lights
1. How 'E Care' program works
Look for the Wheelie Bin logo.
What the Wheelie Bin symbol means: The symbol says don't dispose your e - waste into the municipal waste collection bins. That's because these wastes are hazardous in nature and need to be recycled in a special way.
2. How to dispose an EOL ONIDA product (2 Options)
Look for the Wheelie Bin logo.
ONIDA has tied up with a Government approved E waste vendor namely "SIMS Re - cycling Solutions" who is authorized for Collecting, Dismantling and Re - cycling by the Pollution Control Board. In the event of disposing of your Onida product, you may please consider any one of the options below.
Option A - Drop - off Facility
1. Drop off facility available at the following Locations:
- a) Sims Recycling Solutions
Plot No. 1, Udyog Kendra, Extension - 2, Ecotech - 3
Greater Noida, UP 201306
Phone: +91 1202397 114
- b) Sims Recycling Solutions
Plot No. A - 7, Phase I, MEPZ - SEZ, Tambaram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600045
Phone: +91 44226 28067
- c) Sims Recycling Solutions
Plot No - 315, 8th Cross, 5th Main Road Peenya Industrial Area
Bangalore, Karanataka 560058
Phone: +91 80283 61422
- d) Mirc Electronics Ltd.
Village Kudus, Bhiwandi - Wada Road,
District Thane - 421 312
Contact No.: 085549 98529 / 30 / 31 / 32 /33
- e) Mirc Electronics Ltd.
158 KM Mile Stone, Roorkee - Delhi Highway - (NH 58),
Village Mundiyaki, Pargana, Mangalore,
Dist., Haridwar - 247 667
Contact No.: 08938805149
- f) Mirc Electronics Limited
C - Block,
Life Care Compound,
37 - 38, Lasuria Mori,
Devas Naka, A.B. Road,
Indore - 452 010, Madhya Pradesh
Tel No. 0731 - 4200702/3
The service is available Monday to Friday from 10:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs .
2. Inform them of your intent to Recycle your product.
3. Please carry and deposit your product at the location address specified to you.
4. Kindly fill in the Recycling form given to you at the time of submitting your product and ensure to keep an acknowledgement copy of the same.
Option B - Pick Up facility
- Contact the Government Authorized Recycler in your local Region.
- Please obtain all t
he details for disposal of your product from them.
TERMS AND CONDITION
- The scheme is applicable to ONIDA brand products only.
- ONIDA is not obliged to reimburse the customer the scrap value/any other value of the E - waste product surrendered by the customer to the authorized collection centre.
- Recycle products will not be part of any exchange schemes.
- Local conditions of authorized recycler policy will apply.
- All disputes related to or arising out of this program are subject to jurisdiction of the competent courts in Mumbai only.
- ONIDA reserves the right to change / amend this policy.